1. What factors contributed to Euro Disney’s poor performance during its fi rst year of operation? What factors contributed to Hong Kong Disney’s poor performance during its fi rst year?
2. To what degree do you consider that these factors were ( a) foreseeable and ( b) controllable by EuroDisney, Hong Kong Disney, or the parent company, Disney?
3. What role does ethnocentrism play in the story of EuroDisney’s launch?
4. How do you assess the cross- cultural marketing skills of Disney?
5. Why did success in Tokyo predispose Disney management to be too optimistic in their expectations of success in France? In China? Discuss.
6. Why do you think the experience in France didn’t help Disney avoid some of the problems in Hong Kong?
7. Now that Hong Kong Disney is up and running, will the Shanghai development benefi t from the Hong Kong experience?
8. Now that Disney has opened Hong Kong Disney and begun work on the Shanghai location, where and when should it go next? Assume you are a consultant hired to give Disney advice on the issue of where and when to go next. Pick three locations and select the one you think will be the best new location for “ Disneyland X .” Discuss.
9. Given your choice of locale X for the newest Disneyland, what are the operational implications of the history of EuroDisney and Disney Hong Kong for the new park?