1)The Epic of Gilgamesh – W.W. Norton – ISBN 0-393-97516-9
2)Oxford Study Bible – Oxford University Press – ISBN 0195290003
3)The Iliad (Homer)- Penguin – ISBN 0140275363
4)Oresteia (Aeschylus) – Penguin – ISBN 0140443339
5)Enuma Elish.doc .I HAVE THIS 1
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF U HAVE THESE BOOKS OR U CAN GET IT FROM SOMEWHERE,HAS TO BE SAME ISBN.
Choose 3 of the 7 questions and write an essay for each (Do NOT do both 1 and 2). . You may use your books. If you quote directly from the book, use “” and in () state which book/page it’s from (for the Bible use standard biblical notation Gen 12:10). Use the full essay form and please write clearly. Each essay should have an introduction including a thesis statement, a body and a conclusion. The essays MUST be more than 2 pages long, double spaced 12″ font.
1) Compare the Flood stories in the Bible and in the Epic of Gilgamesh. How are they similar? Different? Try to think beyond the plot – what are the moral/social differences portrayed. Use at least three full examples.
2) Compare the Creation stories in the Bible and in the Babylonian Mythology. How are they similar? Different? Try to think beyond the plot – what are the moral/social differences portrayed. Use at least three full examples.
3) Compare two or three characters relationship to the god(s). Are they similar or different? Why? Look at multiple books (such as Gilgamesh, and in the Bible – JE, P, Etc) If you are going to discuss only two please make sure that they aren’t from the same book/author.
4) This semester we have observed multiple male-male relationships in the Ancient texts. We identified these as Homo-social. What do these relationships represent? What purpose do they serve? Identify and discuss at least two.
5) Gilgamesh is a hero on a journey. He evolves throughout the epic. Are the heroes of the Bible like Gilgamesh? Yes or no? Prove your point – discuss at least three Biblical Heroes.
6) Discuss the Role of Women in the Ancient Literature we have read so far. What are the challenges women face is these societies? How do they succeed, or rather how is their success measured?
7) The idea of life and death seems to vary from one culture to another in the ancient world. Discuss the ancient hero’s view on death. Use at least two different texts.