Locate official websites that explain positions of political parties.
Use the University of Phoenix Material: Political Parties List located on your student website for a list of other potential political parties to research.
Select a major national issue.
Write a 1,050- to 1,400-word paper, explaining differences in position on the issue between the two parties. Minor parties may be included with instructor approval.
Include the following elements:
- Identify forces in the party that help drive it toward its position.
- Discuss how the parties educate their members, the public, and the government about their concerns or mission.
- Consider how the parties encourage members to participate in the democratic process and support a specific party.
- Discuss factors that promote and inhibit corporate influence on the parties with regard to your issue.
- Explain why the U.S. political structure encourages two major political parties and the effect this has on your issue.
- Determine whether the social mobility that affects political party identification influences this issue.
- Summarize the role of political parties and their effectiveness as change agents versus preserving the status quo.