Case Study #4: Technology & Product Review for an SIEM Solution
Agile Belair (the “client”) is a high technology company with multiple locations (“satellite campuses”) within a metropolitan area. Due to the sensitive nature of their business and the risk of intellectual property theft, the company needs a robust Security Information and Event Monitoring solution (SIEM) which is capable of detecting and responding to attacks.The company had tried building its own SIEM solution to collect and interpret log files and event data. But, during pilot testing they determined that the product was lacking in its reporting and alerting capabilities. Their custom solution also had problems handling the high volume of event data being reported from its satellite campuses.
The client’s Chief Technology Officer has asked your company to research and recommend a product which will allow them to incorporate anext generationSIEM solution into their multi-campus infrastructure. The CTO specifically wants an SIEM solution that combines real-time monitoring, threat analytics, and event management / reporting.
- Review the Week 7 readings.
- Choose one of the SIEM products from the Gartner Magic Quadrant analyses.
- Research your chosen product using the vendor’s website and product information brochures. (Vendors for highly rated products will provide a copy of Gartner’s most recent Magic Quadrant report on their websites but, registration is required.)
- Find three or more additional sources which provide reviews for (a) your chosen product or (b) general information about SIEM technologies and solutions.
Write a 3 page summary of your research. At a minimum, your summary must include the following:
- An introduction or overview for the security technology category (SIEM).
- A review of the features, capabilities, and deficiencies for your selected vendor and product
- Discussion of how the selected product could be used by your client to support its cybersecurity objectives by reducing risk, increasing resistance to threats/attacks, decreasing vulnerabilities, etc.
As you write your review, make sure that you address security issues using standard cybersecurity terminology (e.g.5 Pillars IA, 5 Pillars Information Security). See the resources listed under Course Resources > Cybersecurity Concepts Review for definitions and terminology.
Use standard APA formatting for the MS Word document that you submit to your assignment folder. Formatting requirements and examples are found under Course Resources > APA Resources.
Submit For Grading
Submit your paper in MS Word format (.docx or .doc file) using the Case Study #4:SIEM Technology & Product Review assignment in your assignment folder. (Attach the file.)
- There is no penalty for writing more than 3 pages but, clarity and conciseness are valued. If your essay is shorter than 3 pages, you may not have sufficient content to meet the assignment requirements (see the rubric).
- You are expected to write grammatically correct English in every assignment that you submit for grading. Do not turn in any work without (a) using spell check, (b) using grammar check, (c) verifying that your punctuation is correct and (d) reviewing your work for correct word usage and correctly structured sentences and paragraphs.
- You are expected to credit your sources using in-text citations and reference list entries. Both your citations and your reference list entries must comply with APA 6th edition Style requirements. Failure to credit your sources will result in penalties as provided for under the university’s Academic Integrity policy.