Assignment 1: Preparing a Learning Activity
Choose a topic or hobby of your own interest that you could teach in 20 minutes, such as at an informal “lunch and learn” session. Explain how you would incorporate Wlodkowski’s “Five Pillars” (expertise, empathy, enthusiasm, clarity, and cultural responsiveness) into your lesson. Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the subject that you would teach and the value of the subject for yourself and others.
- Determine the learners’ experience, goals, perspectives, and attitudes.
- Create a short outline for the sequence for presenting the learning material.
- Explain how you will create a safe learning environment and motivate the learners.
- With your topic in mind, and the short time frame, identify two (2) tools, from your research, you will use to ensure inclusion of diverse adult learners, and then discuss how you will incorporate them.
- With the same two (2) tools in mind, assess how you know these two (2) tools will be successful in ensuring inclusion of diverse adult learners. Base your answer on supporting evidence.
- Include at least three (3) references (no more than 5-6 years old) from material outside the textbook.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Apply techniques that ensure inclusion of diverse adult learners.
- Analyze methods for increasing learner or employee effectiveness.
- Apply motivation theory to the design of an instructional component.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in methods of teaching in adult education.
Write clearly and concisely about methods of teaching in adult education using proper writing mechanics.