1) In January, you deposit $150 into your checking account. Every month after that, you deposit 10% more than you did the month before. How much do you have in your account after your deposit in August?
2) Write the explicit formula for the geometric sequence represented by the recursive formula.
a1 = 4
an = 5 · an-1
A) an = 4 · 5n
B) an = 5 · 4n
C) an = 4 · 5n-1
D) an = 5 · 4n-1
3) Complete the square to transform the quadratic equation into the equation form (x – p)2 = q.
x2 + 14x + 34 = 5
A) (x – 7)2 = 20
B) (x + 7)2 = 20
C) (x – 14)2 = 28
D) (x + 14)2 = 28
4) A bag contains 11 blocks numbered from 1 to 11. Two blocks are selected from the bag at the same time.
Let event E = the two numbers are NOT even.
How many outcomes are in the complement of E?
5) In a high school of 1250 students, 250 are freshmen and 150 students take Spanish. If being a freshman and taking Spanish are independent, what is the probability that a randomly selected Spanish student is a freshman?
6) Trevor is holding 5 red balloons and 4 blue balloons. He randomly selects a balloon to give his sister, and then he randomly selects a balloon to give his brother. Are two events dependent or independent? Explain.
A) Dependent. The two siblings will want the same color balloon.
B) Independent. Girls always want red and boys always want blue.
C) Independent. There are a set number of red balloons and blue balloons.
D) Dependent. When the first balloon is taken, it affects the ratio of red to blue balloons.
7) Between x = 2 and x = 3, which function has the smallest average rate of change?
A) y = 6x – 1
B) y = 7x – 2
C) y = 4x + 1
D) y = 4x – 1
8) An athletic apparel manufacture randomly selects 200 high school varsity basketball players. A mean height of 6.18 feet is calculated with a margin of error for a 99% confidence interval of ±0.15. What is the interval estimate of the population mean?
A) 5.97 < μ < 6.27
B) 5.97 < μ < 6.39
C) 6.00 < μ < 6.30
D) 6.03 < μ < 6.33
9) Main course: chicken, steak, shrimp
Vegetable: potatoes, asparagus, corn, cauliflower
Desserts: creme brûlée, ice cream